It was a hot and stormy night....well at least a very warm and clear night and I wanted something new,quick, and easy for the grill. This looked like just what I wanted.
I made the marinade as written but used about 1ts of ground cumin. I put the steak and marinade into a 1 gal. zip-lock bag along with 1/2 the onion slices and let this sit in the fridge for about 3 hours.
The steak had excellent, if mild, flavor, similar to my fajita. The steak and fresh grilled peppers (Anaheim, poblano, and jalapeno) and onion were excellent in the tacos.
The next time I make this (and I definitely will) I am going to increase the lime juice, add a touch of salt, and marinate all of the onions with the meat.
All in all, this is an excellent recipe.
Tacos Al CarbonPrep: 15 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 12by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
This is a simple steak taco recipe that emphasizes the flavor of the meat and the grill. You can spice it up by adding extra cumin or a little chili powder, jalapeno, or cayenne if you like, but it is delicious as is. Make sure to chop any additional fixings you like: I used cilantro, avocado and tomato...but they are quite tasty with just meat and tortilla!
- 2 medium white onion, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds (keep the rounds intact for easy grilling)
- 5-10 peppers (Pablano, green, jalapeno, or other based on desired spiciness. I did a mix of pablano and jalapeno)
- 3 garlic clove (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (preferably freshly ground-you can put in extra if you love cumin)
- Liberal salt
- 1 lb skirt steak, trimmed of surface fat as well as silver skin
- olive oil, for brushing the onions and meat
- 12 warm fresh corn tortilla
- lime wedge, for serving
- Marinate the meat for at least one hour in a mixture of 1/2 onion and the garlic, lime juice, cumin and a 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Grill peppers and onion over open flame until blackened.
- Remove excess marinade, oil steak lightly and grill (2 minutes per side for medium rare-longer for thicker steaks).
- Cut steak into strips making sure to cut against the grain.
- Combine with grilled onions and peppers.
- Serve with corn tortillas. Have mexican hot sauce available.
- Sprinkle just before serving with lime wedges.
Leave a review or comment