Sweet Zucchini PicklesPrep: 25 min Cook: 10 min Servings: 24by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
Too many zucchini - what to do? A recipe by Chuck Allen (Palm Springs) caught my eye. Expectations are high from this retired chef, so he takes this recipe as a hostess gift. It is as colorful as it is delicious and lasts about 6 weeks refrigerated. The only thing I added was small cauliflowerettes. What an attractive conversation starter this makes in a perky presentation jar!
- 4 zucchini (1/4 lb. each)
- 1 red onion (1/2 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers (or 1 of each; 1/2 lb. total)
- 1 cup small cauliflowerettes
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- Trim and discard zucchini ends. Thinly slice zucchini.
- Peel onion and cut in half lengthwise, then vertically into thin slivers.
- Mix zucchini, onion, and salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse well and drain.
- Meanwhile, stem, seed, and cut red bell peppers into thin slivers about 2 inches long.
- In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, bring vinegar, sugar, and pickling spice to a boil. Add bell peppers, cauliflowerettes and zucchini-onion mixture. Remove from heat and mix well.
- Spoon vegetables and liquid into jars, cover, and let cool. Chill at least 24 hours or up to 6 weeks.
- Yield about 6 cups (twenty-four 1/4 cup servings).
Leave a review or comment