Sweet Potatoes (Yams) with Cranberries and Granny ApplesPrep: 15 min Cook: 55 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
A family favorite side to holiday dinners. This colorful dish has just the right balance of tart and sweet.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes or yams (or 2 large) scrubbed
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, washed, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a medium saucepan bring 2-3 inches of water to boil. Add sweet potatoes; cover and boil gently for 20 - 30 minutes or until just barely tender - don't overcook. Drain, cool slightly, peel and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 1 ½ quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Meanwhile in a 2 cup microwave safe container mix together brown sugar, water, dried cranberries, cinnamon and butter. Microwave sauce mixture 2 ½ minutes on HIGH.
- In prepared baking dish layer sliced sweet potatoes with sliced apples. Pour the sauce mixture over the top. Cover top with foil.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue baking for 20 or more minutes until sweet potatoes and apples are tender.
Leave a review or comment