Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage Meatballs with LinguinePrep: 15 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie388 recipes>
Spaghetti and meatballs are one of those ultimate comfort foods, and this version is great for work nights and can be on the table ready to eat in about 35 minutes - how can that be? Start with your favorite marinara sauce and substitute Italian turkey sausage in place of making a meatball mixture.
- 1 pound linguine (or spaghetti noodles)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage links (mine were chicken)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or more as needed)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (I used about 2 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 25-ounce jar marinara or pasta sauce
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves torn, for garnish
- Heat water for pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, remove casings from sausages. Shape turkey sausage into 24 1-inch balls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat; add oil to pan and swirl to coat. Add meatballs and cook about 8 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove meatballs from pan.
- If needed add a small additional amount of olive oil. Add onions and cook until golden, about 3 minutes; add mushrooms, garlic and red pepper flakes and saute for 2 minutes.
- Return meatballs and add marinara sauce to pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered 5 minutes or until meatballs are done.
- Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and torn basil leaves for garnish.
- Yield: 6 servings
Leave a review or comment