- 1 1/2 cup bread (crust removed, finely diced) around 7 slices
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 TBSP olive oil (divided)
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 1/2 cups onion (peeled, finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled, minced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 6 TBSP parsley (chopped, divided)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a small bowl, pour the milk over the bread and set aside to soak. Place a saute pan over medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the onion and garlic with a pinch of salt and sweat for about 3 minutes.
- Remove to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the ground chuck, ground pork, eggs yolks, egg, 3 tablespoons of the parsley, pepper, allspice, and nutmeg.
- Season with salt.
- Squeeze the milk from the bread, discarding the liquid and add the bread to the meat mixture.
- Mix until all ingredients are just incorporated.
- Scoop your meatballs into 3 tablespoon balls.
- Set aside on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- When all of the meatballs are rolled, set them aside while you heat up a pan.
- Heat a large saute pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Place the meatballs in the pan in a single layer to sear them, about 6-7 minutes total.
- You might need to do this in 2-3 batches, removing the meatballs to a baking sheet as they brown.
- Place the same saute pan with the oil and browned bits from the meatballs over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until incorporated.
- Next whisk in the beef broth.
- Bring this mixture up to a boil, and then reduce to a a simmer.
- Next add the cream and season with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat and whisk in the sour cream and the other 3 tablespoons of parsley.
- Place meatballs with sauce in a serving dish.
Leave a review or comment