Sugarcane Baked Ham With Spiced Apples And Pears
- 12 x sugarcane swizzle sticks, each cut into
- about 3" pcs
- 8 lb spiral-sliced hickory smoked ham (to 10 lbs)
- (no bone, water added, cooked)
- 1 c. light brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1 c. Steen's 100% Pure Cane Syrup
- 1/2 c. dark molasses
- 1/2 c. dark corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp grnd cloves
- 1/8 tsp grnd allspice
- 1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 1/2 lb Granny Smith apples - (abt 4)
- 1 1/2 lb Bartlett pears - (abt 4)
- 2 doz medium buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a shallow baking pan with parchment or possibly waxed paper. Insert the sugarcane sticks into the ham at 3 to 4-inch intervals. Tie the ham, using kitchen twine, at two inch intervals horizontally and vertically to keep it together. Place on a wire rack in the baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients together except for the mustard and water. Mix well. In a small bowl, dissolve the mustard in the water, then add in to the spice mix. Blend well. (
- Yields: 2 1/2 c.)
- Brush the entire ham with the glaze, coating it proportionately. Wash, core, and halve the fruit. Place all around the ham. Baste the ham a second time and baste the fruit with the glaze. Bake for 45 min. Baste the ham and fruit again. Bake another 45 min.
- Remove the ham from the oven and let it rest for 5 min. Remove and throw away the string and swizzle sticks. Serve the apples and pears on a platter with the ham. Serve everything hot or possibly at room temperature. Serve the biscuits on the side.
- This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
Leave a review or comment