Stuffed Eggplant CaponataPrep: 20 min Cook: 30-40 min Servings: 4by Laurie Alves146 recipes>
A Wonderful Meatless Dinner Alternative!
- 2 Medium Eggplants
- (serves 4)
- 1 cup diced Yellow Onion
- 1/2 cup sliced Bell Pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced Roasted Red Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic diced
- 2 cups cubed Bread
- (I used day old french bread)
- 2-4 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 stalk Celery (diced small)
- 1./4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Red Crushed Pepper
- 2 tbsp Oregano (dry)
- 2 tbsp Basil (fresh, chopped finely)
- Split Eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Slice into eggplants as you would an avocado, making cubes within the eggplant.
- Remove eggplant from skin, leaving skin shell intact. (leave a little bit of the white, just enough so that the eggplant can retain it's shape).
- In a large saute pan at high heat, warm 1/8 cup Olive Oil. Add onions, celery and green pepper. Saute until onions translucent.
- Lower heat to medium. Add Red Peppers and Garlic saute until well combined. Add remaining olive oil. Saute until cohesive. Add spices. Saute until well blended.
- Add Vinegar and Sugar. Blend until sugar melts through. Add tomato paste. Saute until tomato paste melts into mixture. Add Bread Combine and cover. Simmer on medium low for 5-7 minutes or until bread is softened and heated through.
- Preheat oven to 375Â°
- On a baking sheet, place Eggplant shells.
- Fill Eggplant shells with Sauteed mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for 20-25 mins, until softened and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven.
- May serve at this point.
- Top with Mozzarella cheese
- Bake 10-12 minutes until Hot melted and bubbly.
- Yummy!! I loved it! Give it a try and let me know what You think!
Leave a review or comment