St Patrick's Day, Bangers and Colcannon with Guinness onion gravyPrep: 10 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 4by Pamela Boyd Shields5 recipes>
Do you miss the taste of sausage from the last time you visited Ireland? You'll love this sausage and potato main dish. Serve it up with Irish Soda bread and you have a grand meal!
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and diced, water (as much as needed)
- 1/4 pound bacon, cut into 1 inch slices pepper to taste
- 1 tbs butter 1 tbs oil
- 1/4 small head cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced salt and pepper
- 1 pound sausage (Irish or English bangers if you can get them)
- 1 large onion, sliced 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped 2 tbs flour 1 bottle Guinness 2 tbs mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs brown sugar 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sour cream milk to taste
- Bring water to boil, add the potatoes and simmer until fork tender, about 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile cook the bacon in a large pan over medium heat until it renders, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the butter to the bacon, season with salt and pepper and cook until it foams, about a minute. Add the cabbage to the bacon, mix to coat and let cook until tender, approx. 10 minutes. Add green onions to the cabbage, cook for 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper and set aside. Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook until golden brown, about 2-4 minutes per side, and set them aside. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute. Sprinkle in the flour and let it cook for a few minutes. Add the Guinness, mustard &d Worcestershire sauce & brown sugar along w/the sausage & simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the sausage and continue to simmer to reduce by half about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the potatoes, mix in the cabbage followed by the butter, sour cream and enough milk until you get your favourite mashed potatoes consistency. Divide the colcannon between 4 plates, top with sausages and cover in gravy.
Leave a review or comment