Spaghetti with Mushroom Herb Clam SaucePrep: 10 min Cook: 35 min Servings: 6by Robyn Savoie380 recipes>
One of the simplest and quickest yet most pleasing ways to prepare clams is in this simple sauce and served over pasta. Combined with fresh tomatoes and herbs, the dish has a decidedly summertime cast. The clams to use for dishes such as this are the smallest available - littleneck's. These clams are steamed open with various seasonings and served in their shells on the bed of pasta. Ripe tomatoes, fresh herbs, good olive oil and a dry white wine are some other essentials. Keep in mind Parmesan cheese is not a desirable addition. It is rarely grated over pasta with seafood in Italy. In this recipe I combined two of my favorite recipes to produce the end result. Hope you enjoy it.
- 2 1/2 Cups Fresh Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Onion, Diced
- 3/4 Tsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1 Tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Tomato Juice
- 1/2 Cup Dry White Wine
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Tsp. Salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Tomatoes, Chopped
- 1 Tsp. Dried Parsley
- 1 Tsp. Dried Basil
- 1/8 Tsp. Dried Thyme
- 20 Oz Canned Clams, Drained (See Tip)
- 6 Cups Hot Cooked Spaghetti
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven, add mushrooms and onion; cook until mushrooms shrink and onions are opaque. Reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic. Sauté until mushrooms are golden brown.
- Add tomato juice, wine, lemon juice, salt and pepper to boiling in a Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Stir in tomatoes, parsley, basil, thyme and clams. Serve over spaghetti with fresh Italian bread or salad.
- Tip: You can substitute 1 1/2 pounds fresh clams in shells for the prepackaged. Clean and discard any damaged clams, add to sauce in step 2. Cook covered for 5 - 7 minutes or until clams open. Remove from pot with tongs. Discard any clams that remain unopened. Increase heat and bring the sauce to a boil, simmer until liquid is reduced; about 5 minutes. Follow step 3 by adding fresh tomatoes and herbs to sauce. Place cooked spaghetti on six plates. Using tongs, place clams on hot pasta; ladle sauce over clams and pasta.
Leave a review or comment