Sourdough Flax Cornbread
I love the taste and healthyness of Flax. I came up with this recipe to incorporate Flax into my Sourdough Cornbread.
- 1 ½ cups Sourdough Starter
- 1 ½ cups Buttermilk
- 2 cups yellow Cornmeal
- Mix this and let sit a minimum of an hour, 3 to 4 hours or overnight (covered in the fridge) is better.
- Add to the above sourdough mixture and mix up well:
- 2 eggs
- 8oz applesauce
- ½ cup ground Flax seed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- When mixed well, add:
- 2 cups Whole Wheat or 50/50 Whole Wheat/White flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Just a pinch of salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400° F.
- Mix just until all is incorporated and pour into greased or Pam’ed pans.
- Use a 9x13 cake pan or two square or round cake pans. You can also use two 9” greased and pre-heated Cast Iron pans.
- Bake @ 400° F. for about 25 minutes for a 9" x 13" cake pan, or until lightly browned.c
- Check at around 20 minutes for the 2 pan options.
Leave a review or comment