Skinny Salisbury Steak, a Diner ClassicPrep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 5by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
Salisbury steak has been a classic dish long before TV dinners were in the picture. Look on the menu of most diners and you’ll probably see this hamburger patty-style steak. It’s usually smothered with rich, dark, gravy and served with mashed potatoes. This recipe is too but I’m trimming the fat and calories by using extra lean ground beef and making a decadent gravy with reduced-fat butter and milk instead of cream. The skinny for 1 serving, 285 calories, 9.5g fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Wait until the family gets a load of this nostalgic dish. I bet they’re gonna love it!
- Ingredients for Salisbury Steak:
- 5 cups onions, sliced Into rings
- 8-10 ounce bag fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef, see shopping tip
- 1 cup onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Panko bread crumbs or regular bread crumbs, see shopping tip
- 2 egg whites
- 1½ tablespoons prepared horseradish sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Ingredients for Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4-5 drops Tabasco sauce
- Potato Ingredients:
- 1 recipe for skinny mash potatoes or 5 small baked potatoes, see serving tip
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add onion slices and mushrooms. Cook in microwave for about 4 minutes, until very soft.
- To make the patties: In a large bowl, combine ground beef, chopped onions, bread crumbs, egg whites, horseradish and pepper. Shape into 5 patties. Using a large nonstick pan coated with cooking spray, cook patties over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes, spray the top of patties with cooking spray, turn over, turn heat down to medium and cook an additional 5-6 minutes until no longer pink inside. Remove patties to a plate.
- To make the gravy: In the same pan, (not cleaned) melt butter. Using a rubber spatula, stir in flour, scraping bottom of pan. Add salt, pepper and cook for 2 minutes while stirring often. Stir in milk to form a thick paste. Continue to stir for about a minute. Slowly stir in chicken broth, turn heat to medium-high and cook until thicken. Continue to stir the entire time. Add Worcestershire sauce and several drops of Tabasco sauce and mix well. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often.
- To the gravy, add mushrooms/onions and the liquid from the bowl and the patties. Heat for about 5 minutes until heated through.
- To serve: Spread out Â½ cup mashed potatoes onto each plate. Place 1 meat patty on top of potatoes. Top with about â cup gravy. If serving with baked potatoes, once baked, open the potato and mash with a fork. Top the potato with 1 patty and gravy.
- Any leftovers freeze great. Pack 1 patty and â cup gravy into individual plastic contains for the freezer.
- Makes 5 servings (each serving, 1 patty and about â cup gravy)
Leave a review or comment