Skinny Mexican Style Chicken and Cornbread CasserolePrep: 15 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 6by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
My husband and I love this main course casserole so much, we ended up eating it 3 days in a row! The skinny for 1 serving, 323 calories, 8 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. It’s a real cinch to make, freezes great and only needs a side salad to serve with it! Easy, right and did I mention that it’s absolutely DELICIOUS??
- 1¼ cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
- 1 (14.5 oz) can cream-style corn
- 1¼ cups chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 1 egg, I love Egg-Land’s Best eggs
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tip
- ½ cup salsa, I used Pace Medium Chunky Salsa or use your favorite
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- ¼ cup Light Mexican Blend Cheese or light cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9â baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add onions and butter. Cook in microwave on high for about 4 minutes until soft. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream-style, chicken, egg, milk, chili powder and cumin. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix and only stir until blended. The batter will be a bit bumpy. Spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
- Spoon cooked onions and liquid left in the bowl evenly over the top.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully spread the salsa evely over the onions. It wonât completely cover the onions. Using the same rubber spatula, carefully spread sour cream evenly over the salsa. It also wonât completely cover the entire casserole.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream.
- Bake for 45 minutes so the entire casserole will be cooked through. It will look very golden brown.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. It also freezes great.
- Shopping Tip-Most supermarkets sell Jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking aisle. If you canât find it use another brand that is about 8.5 ounces.
- For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://www.skinnykitchen.com
Leave a review or comment