Skinny Matzo Ball Soup for Passover or AnytimePrep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 12by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
I bet you never thought matzo ball soup could be made skinny! The soup itself is usually low in calories and fat but matzo balls are loaded with chicken fat and made with several eggs. Not my skinny ones! Here I’m using just 1 tablespoon of canola oil and 2 healthy Eggland’s Best eggs. These mini matzo balls are so light and fluffy and taste delicious. The skinny for a 1 cup serving is 124 calories, 2 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. You don’t have to celebrate Passover to enjoy this fabulous soup. There’s a reason it’s so popular. Everyone will love it!
- Ingredients for Matzo Balls
- ¼ cup club soda
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large eggs, I used Eggland’s Best eggs
- ⅔ cup matzo meal
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Ingredients for Chicken Soup
- 2 (32oz) containers Swanson’s reduced-sodium chicken broth,
- 1 (14 oz) can Swanson’s reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces (¾ lb.) chicken breasts, (boneless, skinless), cubed
- 1½ cups carrots, chopped
- 1½ cups celery, sliced
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces (1½ cups dry) Manischewitz Passover Gold egg noodles,“no yolk” egg noodles, whole grain or whole wheat spaghetti, see shopping tip
- To prepare matzo balls: combine club soda, oil and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring well. Stir in matzo meal, dill, salt and ground pepper; chill 30 minutes. Shape dough into 24 (1-inch) balls.
- To make the soup: In a large pot, add all soup ingredients, except the noodles and matzo balls. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, carefully add chilled matzo balls, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the cover. Cook uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- While soup is cooking, cook the noodles in a separate pot according to package directions. Rinse in cold water and set aside, see prep tip.
- Add cook noodles to soup, just before serving. To serve, add 2 matzo balls for a first course serving and 3 matzo balls to each main course serving.
- Shopping Tip-Passover approved noodles are available in most supermarkets during Passover. During the rest of the year or if you donât celebrate Passover, use âno yolkâ noodles, whole grain or whole wheat spaghetti. Iâve made this soup with all of these different noodles and they all work great for this soup.
- SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cup (includes 2 matzo balls and Passover approved noodles)
- 124 calories, 2g fat, 15g carbs, 11g protein, 1g fiber, 522mg sodium, 2g sugar
- For more skinny recipes, please join me at http://skinnykitchen.com.
Leave a review or comment