Skinny Baked Vegetarian Egg Rolls with Peanut SaucePrep: 15 min Cook: 60 min Servings: 12by Skinny Kitchen with Nancy Fox299 recipes>
“Meatless Mondays” or any day of the week never tasted so yummy with these skinny vegetarian egg rolls! You normally wouldn’t think egg rolls would be healthy but these actually are! They’re loaded with good-for-you broccoli slaw, cabbage and other veggies. Plus they’re baked, not fried and served with a peanut butter dipping sauce, oh boy! The skinny for 1 egg roll, 117 calories 3 grams fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. They make a wonderful appetizer, lunch or dinner.
- Ingredients for Egg Rolls:
- 2½ cups shredded cabbage
- 2½ cups broccoli slaw
- 1 cup snow peas, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ginger, (from a jar)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- A little fresh ground black pepper
- 12 egg roll wrappers, see shopping tip
- Cooking spray
- Ingredients for Sauce:
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine cabbage, broccoli slaw, carrots, pea pods and scallions.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high. Add ginger, garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in cabbage mixture, 1Â½ tablespoons soy sauce, rice vinegar and black pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft-crisp. Chill in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper at a time onto work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Spoon â cup cabbage filling into center of wrapper. Fold lower corner of egg roll wrapper over filling. Fold in corners and roll up jelly roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers and veggie filling. Lightly coat egg rolls with cooking spray and place, seam side down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn over and bake 10 minutes more until golden brown on both sides.
- To prepare sauce: In a blender add all sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and add more red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve sauce on the side with egg rolls. Use Â½ tablespoon sauce to dip with each egg roll.
- Serve at once. To reheat, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place egg rolls on a baking sheet. Place in oven and heat until crisp.
- Makes 12 egg rolls (each serving, 1 roll and about Â½ tablespoon sauce)
- Shopping Tips-I used Nasoya Egg Roll Wrappers. I bought mine at Vons/Safeway but most supermarkets and natural food markets sell egg roll wrappers. Theyâre usually displayed in the refrigerated Asian section or deli aisle. Click here to see where Nasoya Egg Roll Wrappers are sold-http://www.nasoya.com/buy.html. There are other brands available.
Leave a review or comment