Simple Cream of Onion SoupPrep: 5 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 4by Denise Sherin115 recipes>
Nice buttery, smooth soup. Serve with croutons and chopped chives. Recipe serves 4, I usually double it.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/4 lbs sweet onions, sliced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 7 tbsp dry white vermouth
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- a little squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Melt 6 tbsps of butter in a lg stock pot. Set approx. 1/2 cup of onions aside for later, add the rest of the onions to the butter along with the bay leaf, stir to coat. then cover and cook gently for about 30 mins. The onions should be very soft and tender, but not browned.
- Add vermouth, increase the heat and boil rapidly until the liquid has evaporated. Add the stock, 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 mins. then remove from heat.
- Leave it to cool, then discard bay leaf. Process soup in a blender or food processor and return soup to the rinsed pan.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in another pan and cook the reserved onions slowly, covered, until soft but not browned. uncover and continue to cook gently till golden.
- Add the cream to the soup and reheat it gently until very hot, but do not allow it to boil. Adjust the seasonings adding a splash of fresh lemon juice, add the buttery onions and stir 1-3 mins.
- Serve with croutons and chopped chives
Leave a review or comment