Scotch EggsPrep: 10 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 8by Patti Fisher68 recipes>
A Scotch egg is a work of art. These things are AWESOME; everyone who has tried one says “Oh My Gosh, these are great!!!” And being the Chef those words are music to my ears. A Scotch Egg is a hardboiled egg, wrapped with a quarter pound of sausage, then wrapped with a strip of thick cut bacon and put onto a stick. We call it “Breakfast on a Stick” These are perfect for your Tailgating and Super Bowl parties or just a weekend get together. The fun part is that you don’t have to use only one kind of sausage. We make them using all kinds of sausage from smokin’ hot to mild and not just pork sausage. We’ve also made them with seasoned ground beef and lamb! I think besides the “off the hook” flavor, it’s the texture that you experience as you eat this that makes them so good. First you see it, looks like something good to eat. You smell it, yup. Then, you taste that first bite of bacon, then the layer of sausage followed by the soft creamy egg. Oh my, these are really so good. These originally started as pub food in Scotland. They batter and deep fry theirs. We grill our so they are not only healthier, but low carb. Another name for them is Paleo Lollipops.
- 8 hard boiled eggs, peeled
- 2 lbs. sausage of your choice (Ken likes a hot breakfast sausage, Patti loves ground lamb)
- 8 strips of thick sliced bacon (We like peppered bacon)
- 8 Popsicle type sticks, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Boil and peel your eggs and set them aside. Divide your sausage into ¼ pound balls and flatten out. I find that if you flatten out the sausage it goes around the egg a little easier. Have a bowl of water so you can dip your hands in it to just moisten. When you are forming your sausage balls the meat won’t stick to your hands if they are damp.
- Press the sausage around the egg making it as tight as you can without crushing the egg. Wrap it with a strip of bacon. You don’t need anything to hold the bacon, it will stick by itself. If you are putting them on a stick you’re ready. Take your Popsicle stick and push it into the meatball and firmly into the egg. You are ready for the grill. I like to smoke these 30 minutes before I turn the heat up to 350 for 30-40 minutes. You can skip the 30 minute smoke if need be. But, it will add another layer of flavor.
- For oven directions checjk out our website
Leave a review or comment