Scalloped Sweet Potato and Oyster StewPrep: 20 min Cook: 35 min Servings: 10by Carolinaheartstrings301 recipes>
This was not a combination that I had ever considered but boy was it good but it is one winning flavorful casserole. I hope you love it!
- 2 ¾ pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fish stock (using the reserved oyster liquid)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 8 oz cans oysters
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup “Ritz” style crackers, crushe
- 1. Peel potatoes and slice into ¼” thick slices.
- 2. Boil in salted water until softened (10-15 minutes).
- 3. Drain the cans of oysters reserving the liquid.
- 4. Chop the oysters into bite size pieces and reserve.
- 5. In a saucepan cook the onion in butter until soft.
- 6. Blend in 1 tablespoon of flour.
- 7. Add the reserved oyster liquid, cream and salt. Blend well.
- 8. Stir in the 2nd tablespoon of flour.
- 9. Cook over medium until thickened.
- 10. Drain the potatoes.
- 11. In a buttered casserole dish (“8 x 10 “) layer half of the potatoes.
- 12. Top with half of the oysters.
- 13. Top with half of the cheese.
- 14. Top with the remaining potatoes.
- 15. Pour the stock-cream mixture over the potatoes. Spread across the top.
- 16. Top with the remaining oysters.
- 17. Top with the remaining cheese.
- 18. Top with the cracker crumbs.
- 19. Cover and cook for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 20. Uncover and cook for 10 more minutes
- As a main dish serves 6 and as a side dish serves 8-10.
Leave a review or comment