Savory scones with cheese and sweetcornPrep: 35 min Cook: 20-25 min Servings: 12by Sharemykitchen2 recipes>
These chunky and puffy scones are equally good warm or chilled, and that makes them perfect for breakfast or an ideal addition for the lunchbox. They also went straight into my “top 5” for picnic baskets.
- 250g sweetcorn kernels, canned and drained
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 350g self-rising flour
- 50g butter
- 170ml milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix together the sifted flour, baking powder, paprika, salt, 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves in a large bowl, and rub in the butter, until the mix resembles small breadcrumbs. You may do as I did - grate the cold butter into the mix and just stir it in using wooden spoon.
- Tip in most of the cheese and all of the corn. Mix the milk with the lemon juice, then stir into the bowl to make a slightly sticky dough.
- Cover the bowl with clink foil and put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven on 220C/ 428F/gas 7.
- When the dough is cold and firm enough put it on a lightly floured surface and work it for just 30 seconds.
- Divide the dough in 12 pieces and try to form balls (well, some oval form would be ok). Arrange your creations on a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper, leaving 2-3 cm gap in between.
- Brush the balls with some milk, sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese and thyme leaves.
- Bake in the low-middle of the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the buns almost double in volume and the top is golden brown.
- Cool on a rack.
Leave a review or comment