Savory Rice with Lentil Curry - KhichuriPrep: 5 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 4by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
We made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious! This has everything I love about Indian food. The flavors are bold and vibrant but blend so well together, the warmth and texture are like comfort food, and the dish is quite healthy. If you like split pea or lentil soup, you should definitely give this a try some night instead. We served this with an Indian flavored, sauteed swai (similar to catfish or tilapia) and artichokes, but it could easily be a stand alone dish.
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils (or moong dal)
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 inch (5cm) cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamom seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch of ginger root, grated (about 2 Tbsp)
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp sugar
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup basmati rice (white or brown, washed & drained)
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3-4 serrano peppers, halved lengthwise
- Roast the yellow lentils over medium heat in a large sauce pan for a few minutes until they turn light brown. Then remove from heat, add the red lentils and rinse with water, then drain and move to a bowl. Dry the pan, add the oil, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamom seeds and sizzle over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the garlic, ginger and onion and saute until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the turmeric, chili powder, salt, sugar, tomato, and serranos and mix thoroughly. Then add the rice and lentils and continue to saute for about 6 minutes.
- Add the water and when it starts to boil, lower the heat and let simmer for about 35 minutes.
- Serve on plates or in bowls while hot.
Leave a review or comment