SAMOSAPrep: 20-30 min Cook: 10-15 min Servings: 5by Simmy Routroy6 recipes>
A samosa is a fried or baked pastry with a savory filling, such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas, lentils, ground lamb, ground beef or ground chicken. The size, shape and consistency may vary, but typically, they are distinctly triangular. Samosas are often accompanied by chutney. They are a popular appetizer or snack in Asia
- FOR DOUGH:
- All purpose flour-1 cup
- Semolina-1/4 cup
- Lukewarm water-1/4 cup+2 tbsp
- Black cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Carom seeds-1/4 tsp
- Oil-2 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- FOR FILLING:
- Boiled potatoes-2(peeled and chopped into very small cubes)
- Yellow peas-1/2 cup
- Chopped onion-2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder-1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder-1/4 tsp
- Chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala:-1/4 tsp
- Dry Fenugreek leaves-1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil-1 tbsp
- 1-Soak the peas for 5-6 hours and boil with 2 cups of water,salt and turmeric powder.
- 2-In a bowl mix flour,salt,oil, carom seeds and black cumin properly.
- 3-Then add water and knead into a smooth firm dough.
- 3-Cover with a moist cloth and let it rest for 1 hour.
- 4-Meanwhile,in a pan heat oil,then add chopped onions and cook till until onions turn brown.
- 5-Then add boil yellow peas,turmeric powder,cumin powder,chili powder,coriander powder,
- garam masala powder,dry fenugreek leaves,dry mango powder,salt and potato and fry for 2 mins.
- 6-Then remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- 7-Divide Dough into small balls and roll it into very thin circles(just like poori).
- 8-Take a knife and divide the rolled poori into two by cutting through the center.
- 9-Now take a semi-circle piece of the poori,and make a fold in the shape of a triangle,
- Seal along the fold.Now place this cone between your thumb and index finger and place a ball of the stuffing
- inside.Wet your finger and run it along the edges of the dough with water and seal to enclose the stuffing.
- 10-Press the ends firmly so that the filling does not come out during the deep frying process.
- Prepare with the rest of the dough in the same manner.
- 11-Heat oil in a deep pan and deep fry until golden brown on medium heat.
- 12-Remove onto absorbent paper and serve hot with Ketchup or Tamarind Chutney.
Leave a review or comment