Roasted Onion, Garlic and Rosemary FocacciaPrep: 60 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 8by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
Focaccia the most easiest bread to create at home, is the gift of Italy's Liguria region to the culinary world, as the people of this area have a distinct talent for making virtue out of necessity, they devised a solution to the local bread problem that was as clever as it was tasty and hence focaccia was born.
- For the dough:
- 4 Cups all purpose flour +¼ Cup flour for dusting
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 ½ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For the topping:
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 - 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 Cup sun dried tomato
- 1 Jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 10 black olives, pitted and quartered
- 1 tbsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- In a bowl activate the yeast by combining it with ½ cup lukewarm water and sugar. Stir gently to dissolve. Let stand 3 minutes or until the foam appears.
- Sift together flour and salt in a large bowl. Pour in 1/4 cup olive oil. Make well in the center of the flour and add activated yeast. Slowly adding little water at a time try to form a dough.
- Dump the dough mixture onto a lightly flour dusted surface and begin to knead with the heels of your hand. Knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a round and place in an oiled bowl, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or damp towel and let it rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the ambient temperature. This stage is called proofing.
- Once the dough is doubled and domed, turn it out onto the lightly flour dusted counter. Roll and stretch the dough out to an round shape about 1/2-inch thick. Lay the flattened dough on the greased 9 inch round pan and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, to prepare topping coat a small saute pan with olive oil, add the onion, and cook over low heat for 15 minutes until the onions caramelize.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Uncover the dough and make dimples with your fingertips. Brush the surface with more olive oil and then add caramelized onions, garlic, olives, sun dried tomato, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and rosemary.
- Bake on the bottom rack for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely at room temperature before slicing.
Leave a review or comment