Rhubarb and Strawberry Layered DelightPrep: 35 min Cook: 18 min Servings: 15by Salad Foodie389 recipes>
OMGoodness - this trifle-like beauty will steal the show at your next dinner or event. Don't let the 3 layer preparation turn you away, because you can make & bake the shortbread crust and chop the rhubarb the night before, then prepare the middle cream cheese filling and the fruit topping next day. Allow 2 to 3 hours of chilling time to firm layers well. If you're serving a crowd, leftovers are unlikely!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup), melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb (fresh or frozen)
- 2 to 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped to make about 3 cups
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter or spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Mix together flour, nuts, and the 1/4 cup granulated sugar until well blended. Press into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Combine the brown sugar and cornstarch in large saucepan; stir in rhubarb. Place over medium heat and stir occasionally as it heats. (The sugar will eventually melt down and with rhubarb juices and cornstarch, begin to thicken); remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in strawberries.
- Meanwhile whip the cream til soft peaks form (no need to sweeten it); set aside or refrigerate.
- Beat cream cheese with the 1 cup powdered sugar until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of the whipped cream thoroughly, then spread it over the cooled crust. Top with cooled rhubarb-strawberry mixture.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours until well set. Use remaining whipped cream to either spread over the top, or use to dollop individual servings.
- Yield: 15 or more servings, depending on size of serving.
Leave a review or comment