Red Wine Pickled BeetsPrep: 1 hours Cook: 40 min Servings: 8by Farrell May Podgorsek54 recipes>
These beets will convert non beet eaters. Roasted beets develop an incredible depth of flavor. Fruity red wine is combined with mild vinegar, ginger, allspice, clove and pepper. Thinly sliced onions provide these delightful pickles with a kick and crunch. They will happily sit in your refrigerator for weeks. This recipe can easily be halved. I always make extra to give as thank you gifts.
- 3 lbs red beets, washed
- 2 cups fruity red wine such as Zinfandel
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp whole allspice , cracked
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger, sliced into coins
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 1/2 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 large stick cinnamon
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large red onion, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fruity vinegar such as white balsamic or raspberry
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place beets in a baking dish and cover with foil. Place in oven and bake for about one hour, or until beets are fully cooked and a knife inserted in the beet goes in easily. Remove from oven and cool enough so you can handle them. Remove skins from beets and cut into quarters, then into 1/4 inch slices. Set aside.
- In a medium non-reactive saucepan combine all remaining ingredients except the onions and vinegar. Bring to a boil; lower heat and barely simmer until slightly reduced and spices infuse the liquid, about 20 minutes. Strain out spices and return liquid to saucepan. Add beets and onions and return to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add vinegar. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Keeps in refrigerator for weeks.
Leave a review or comment