Red, White And Blue/Black Casserole
- 3 lrg Tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 1/2 lb Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 lrg White onion, cut into thin slices (optional)
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise once, then slice crosswise into semi-disks about 3/4 inch thick.
- In a shallow casserole dish (about 2 in deep), stand some slices of eggplant on the narrow cut edge, to make a row, then follow this with slices of tomato, then slices of mozzarella cheese. Repeat till the whole dish is full. It should appear from the top to have bands of red, white and black.
- Use your favorite seasoning (basil/oregano is the default), and bake till bubbly (about 25-30 min at 350 degrees F.
- NOTES:* Eggplant casserole with tomato and cheese -
- Cookbook" maybe Anyway, which's an excellent source for ideas...
- * You may wish to put a layer of onions on the bottom, horizontally, before you put the eggplant in the pan.
- * This only works with European-style eggplant; Japanese and Asian eggplants are too narrow.
- Difficulty: easy.
- Time: 5 min preparation, 30 min cooking.
- Precision: no need to measure.
Leave a review or comment