Red HarissaPrep: 10 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 1by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
Harissa is a hot and explosive Moroccan Dip made of loads of variety of chilies and pepper, commonly served in Mediterranean restaurants. Harissa has its roots in Tunisia and slowly it's popularity reached Libya, Algeria and now Morocco.
- 1 red bell pepper, whole
- 10-15 dried long red chilies
- 4 - 5 small red chilies
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic
- Salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, roasted
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (Black Cumin), roasted
- 60ml olive oil
- Take hot water in a bowl and soak the dried red chilies and cover the bowl, this is to rehydrate dried red chillies.
- For roasting bell pepper either it can be done in oven or over the flames.
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Place bell pepper on a tray and roast till blackened and blistered, turning often. Remove and place in a bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and leave for 10 minutes. Peel off skin carefully, discard seeds and stalk.
- Drain the soaked red chillies and place with remaining ingredients in blender and make a smooth puree.
- Store in clean, dry, airtight container. To increase the shelf life keep in refrigerator and use dry spoon to scoop out Harissa.
- This stays well for 3 - 4 weeks in fridge.
Leave a review or comment