Quick Meatloaf & PotatoesPrep: 15 min Cook: 15 min Servings: 5by Salad Foodie406 recipes>
Start to finish this can be on the table in 30 minutes, which represents 15 minutes of prep and 15 minutes cook time in the microwave. This meal-in-one recipe comes from the heyday of microwave cooking in the 80's and 90's, and is always a family pleaser. Of course it can be baked in a 350 degree F. conventional oven instead, for an hour or so. Either way, use a digital thermometer and cook the meatloaf to an internal temperature of 155 to 160 degrees. (NOTE: The recipe was tested in a 1200 watt microwave using the amount of meat and size of potatoes listed. If you increase amounts and/or potato size, cook time in the microwave will need to increase accordingly; use a thermometer as the test for meatloaf doneness and a fork for potato doneness, rather than the time shown.)
- 1 pound ground beef (I use 85 to 90% lean)
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 or 6 medium-small red potatoes (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon dry mustard
- (See note in summary paragraph above regarding increasing meatloaf amounts or potato size/number.)
- In medium bowl thoroughly mix beef, oats, onion, parsley, garlic, 1/4 cup ketchup, egg, salt and pepper. Form into a round loaf and place in microwave-safe baking dish.
- Wash potatoes and pat dry; arrange around the meatloaf evenly spaced (red potatoes are so thin-skinned I don't see the need to poke them with a fork.)
- Cover with microwave splatter shield, lid or a wax paper cover.
- Microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes; check temperature of meat loaf and drain excess fat accumulated if needed. If potatoes are fork-tender at this point, remove them to a serving bowl and keep warm.
- Continue cooking meat on HIGH until a digital thermometer reads 155 to 160 degrees, which would be about 3 more minutes, depending on microwave oven wattage.
- Meanwhile in small bowl mix glaze ingredients together. Spread glaze over cooked meatloaf and microwave 1 minute more. Remove from oven and allow to rest a few minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment