Quick & Easy Fruit Compote with Vanilla Sauce (and a no-added sugar or low-sugar variation)Prep: 10 min Cook: 5 min Servings: 6by Salad Foodie389 recipes>
A fruit compote on the table in 15 minutes? Here's a dessert kids (and kids of all ages) will love. Start with a can of fruit cocktail, add some chopped fruit in season, and make a simple vanilla sauce to top it. (This dessert converts easily to a no-sugar added or low sugar version by substituting a non calorie sweetener such as Splenda for half or all of the sugar.)
- 1 15-ounce can fruit cocktail (I use packed-in-own-juice type, but regular syrup canned is fine if carbs and calories are not a concern)
- 1 cup of fresh fruits in season, diced or sliced (such as bananas, oranges, apples, mangoes, pineapple, etc.)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Garnish of choice, optional: mint leaves, whipped cream, toasted coconut, chocolate curls, etc.
- Drain fruit cocktail well, reserving all juice. In medium mixing bowl stir together drained fruit cocktail and prepared fresh fruit. Divide evenly into 5 to 6 individual compote dishes or small dessert bowls.
- Measure reserved fruit cocktail syrup into a liquid measuring glass; add water as needed to measure Â½ cup total. Pour into a small saucepan and stir in sugar and cornstarch, mixing until all cornstarch is dissolved.
- Cook and stir over medium high heat just til it begins to boil; reduce heat and continue boiling 2 or 3 minutes, until thickened well.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Pour over fruit portioning evenly.
- Optional: garnish as desired and serve.
- Yield: 5-6 servings
Leave a review or comment