Québec Tourtière (Meat pie)Prep: 50 min Cook: 20 min Servings: 6by Micheline120 recipes>
A typical, traditional Québec meat pie, usually served during the Holiday Season.
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp savory
- 1/4 tsp celery seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- pie pastry for the top and bottom of pie plate (homemade or commercially bought)
- Place all the ingredients in a saucepan except the bread crumbs. Bring to a boil and cook 20 minutes, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring often to break up the meat. Remove from heat.
- Add a few spoonfuls of bread crumbs and let stand 10 minutes. If fat is sufficiently absorbed by the bread crumbs, do not add more. If not, continue in the same manner (adding more until all the fat is absorbed)
- Cool and pour meat mixture into a pastry-lined pie pan. Cover with pastry. Bake in a 400 degrees F oven until the top is well browned and the dough is cooked on the bottom. Serve hot with ketchup on top.
Leave a review or comment