Québec Ragoût de pattes et boulettes (Pork hock stew and beef meatballs)Prep: 30 min Cook: 120 min Servings: 10by Micheline120 recipes>
This is a typical, traditional Quebec meat stew, traditionally served during the Holiday Season. This recipe is from Quebec's most famous Chef, Jehane Benoît.
- RAGOÛT (pork hocks stew with pork/beef meatballs)
- 2 to 3 lbs pork hocks (feet), cut in pieces
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp fat (Crisco, tenderflake)
- 4 to 6 cups lukewarm water
- 1 cup onions, sliced thinly
- 4 to 6 tbsp browned flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- Mixture of the same quantity and spices used in the ragoût.
- Roll the pork hocks in a mixture of the salt, pepper, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Melt the fat in a heavy saucepan. Brown the hocks until dark brown in colour (there lies the secret for a successful ragoÃ»t).
- When the meat is well browned, add the onions and stir until light brown and add the lukewarm water. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Shake together in a glass jar, the flour and 1/2 cup water. Pour into the broth and cook while stirring, until a good thick consistency.
- While the stew (ragoÃ»t) is simmering, make (1 inch or so) meatballs by mixing the ground beef, ground pork and the same spices (salt, pepper, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg) and quantity used in the ragoÃ»t. Add the meatballs to the ragoÃ»t and let simmer for the time remaining, as stated above.
- Once the pork hocks are fully cooked and the meat comes off the bone, after 2 hours or so, you can remove and discard the bones and the skin of the pork hocks and return the meat only to the ragoÃ»t before serving.
- BROWN FLOUR is achieved by browning the white flour in a medium to hot dry pan (NO OIL) and stirring continually until the flour becomes a rich deep brown colour.
- NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN THE FLOUR BY CONTROLLING THE TEMPERATURE OF YOUR PAN AND STIRRING CONSTANTLY UNTIL DEEP BROWN.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, fresh bread and vegetables of your choice.
Leave a review or comment