Potato, zucchini, red bell pepper, with bacon and herbs baked in a pot.Prep: 15 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 6by Helenscooking29 recipes>
The potato baked with zucchini (squash), red bell pepper, onion, carrot, garlic and some meat is popular in Eastern Europe. (It’s cooked in Poland and Hungary, in Ukraine and Czech Republic) In each region it has different twist though. Even in my family it’s cooked differently. I like to experiment. I cook it with meatballs and sometimes with meat (beef, pork or chicken); I cook it even with bacon. The beauty of this recipe that it’s impossible to spoil, seriously, if you aren’t the perfect cook or if you are just short of time (and guests are about to arrive) this dish will just save you.
- 6 big potatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 1 mid-sized zucchini
- 2 mid-sized carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of dill
- 1/3 cup of parsley (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream or mayo
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- ¾ cup of sliced bacon
- ¾ cup of shredded cheese
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
- Now: potatoes, red bell pepper, onion and carrots are the base of this recipe. Everything else â is a mix and match. You can substitute zucchini with squash or eggplant. You can put any meat or sausage in the pots, you can even cook it without any meat. Itâs a win-win recipe.
- Servings: 6 small pots. One pot for one person (It is one full plate of this summer deliciousness per each person)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes.
- Cooking time: 45 min -1 h (depending on your oven)
- Peel potato, carrot, garlic and onion. Take the seeds out of pepper.
- Wash all the veggies: carrot, onion, zucchini, potatoes, garlic and dill (parsley).
- Shred the carrot, chop the onion and pepper, cut in mid-sized pieces potato, zucchini, chop the herbs
- Set Â½ of onion and carrot aside
- Mix everything else: onion and potato, zucchini and carrot, herbs. Add salt and pepper.
- Slice the bacon. (If you put the other meat: pork, chicken, beef- prepare it).
- Take your baking pots: put bacon (or other meat on the bottom), then add your veggies.
- Remember you set aside the onion and some carrot. Take it and braise it for 5 minutes in a frying pan. In 5 minutes add some sour cream / or mayo/ and add 1 cup of water, pinch of salt and pepper, braise for 2-3 min.
- Pour the sauce you just cooked into the baking pots. (If you want to add the meatballs instead of bacon or any other meat put them on top of the veggies)
- Preheat the oven at 375F. Set your pots to bake for 30-45 minutes. (Occasionally check the potato if itâs ready and check if thereâs enough water in your pots).
- 15 minutes before taking the pots out- finely chop the garlic and put a little bit of garlic in each pot. When you turn the oven off add the cheese on top of your baked dish and close the lids let the cheese melt.
- Be careful when taking the pots out as they are hot.
- I serve the dish directly in the pots, but give the guests a spoon and a plate, if the guest wishes to eat from the plat and not the pot.
- ***Tip from Helen*** You can cook this dish in a baking dish, but I like separate small baking pots more, they are just more authentic and fun!
- Enjoy your summer delicious baked veggies!
Leave a review or comment