Pork Souvlaki with TzatzikiPrep: 1 hours Cook: 15 min Servings: 4by John Spottiswood300 recipes>
It wasn't until I went to Greece that I tasted pork souvlaki (kebab). I'd had lamb souvlaki at greek restaurants and festivals in the US, but never pork, While the pork is not quite as flavorful as lamb, it is healthy and so easy to make from a pork tenderloin or loin roast. In addition to the tzataki, we also served this with Sriracha sauce (chili sauce) which gave it a nice kick.
- For the Pork
- 1 pork tenderloin cut in 1 inch cubes (about 24)
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh italian parsley (flat leaf)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped mint
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 24 mushrooms, optional.
- 4 pieces flatbread (six inch rounds), brushed with olive oil and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Tzatziki
- 1 cup plain, greek style yogurt (we used fat free)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp minced lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp good olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Sriracha sauce (to serve alongside)
- Combine the tenderloin cubes and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and marinate in a refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight, or marinate 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat grill to medium high and brush and oil grates.
- Meanwhile, thread pork and tomatoes on to skewer. Spray or brush the tomatoes lightly with oil. Separately, thread the onions onto their own skewers and mushrooms (if using) onto their own skewers, brush or spray lightly with oil, and sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Grill the onion skewers for 12-14 minutes, the pork and tomato skewers for 8-9 minutes, and the mushroom skewers for 5-6 minutes, turning each skewer 3-4 times in quarter turns. Grill the flatbread for 1-2 minutes per side until toasted but not crisp.
- For the Tzatziki, combine the yogurt, parsley, mint, zest, oil and honey in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve skewers and flatbread with Tzatziki and and optional Sriracha sauce.
Leave a review or comment