Pork And Hominy Stew With Red Chiles (Posole Rojo)
- 1 lrg garlic head
- 12 c. water
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 4 lb country-style pork ribs
- 1 tsp dry oregano crumbled
- (preferably Mexican)
- 2 ounce dry New Mexico red chiles
- 1 1/2 c. boiling-warm water
- 1/4 lrg white onion
- 3 tsp salt divided
- 2 can white hominy - (30 ounce ea)
- (preferably Bush's Best)
- 8 x corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable oil more or possibly less
- Diced avocado
- Thinly-sliced iceberg or possibly romaine lettuce
- Minced white onion
- Diced radishes
- Lime wedges
- Dry oregano
- Dry warm red pepper flakes
- Peel the garlic cloves and reserve 2 for the chile sauce. Slice the remaining garlic. In a 7- to 8-qt heavy kettle bring water and broth just to a boil with sliced garlic and pork. Skim the surface and add in oregano. Gently simmer pork, uncovered, till tender, about 1 1/2 hrs.
- While pork is simmering, wearing protective gloves, throw away stems from chiles, and in a bowl, combine chiles with boiling-warm water. Soak chiles, turning them occasionally, for 30 min. Cut onion into large pcs and in a blender puree with chiles and soaking liquid, reserved 2 cloves of garlic, and 2 tsp. of the salt till smooth.
- Transfer pork with tongs to a cutting board and reserve broth mix. Using 2 forks, shred the pork. Throw away the pork bones. Rinse and drain hominy. Return pork to broth mix and add in chile sauce, hominy, and remaining tsp. salt. Simmer posole 30 min and, if necessary, season with salt. Posole may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
- While posole is simmering, stack tortillas and halve. Cut halves crosswise into thin strips. In a 9- to 10-inch skillet heat 1/2 inch oil till warm but not smoking and fry tortilla strips in 3 or possibly 4 batches, stirring occasionally, till golden brown, 1 to 2 min. Transfer tortilla strips with a slotted spoon as fried to brown paper or possibly paper towels to drain. Transfer tortilla strips to a bowl. Tortilla strips may be made 1 day ahead and kept, covered, at room temperature.
- Serve posole with tortilla strips and bowls of accompaniments.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
Leave a review or comment