PERSIAN KUFTEH BERENJIPrep: 20 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Linda Tay Esposito31 recipes>
Big balls of aromatic fresh herbs, rice, beef and lamb. It's a whole meal by itself. Adding dairy to meatballs make them tender. The Advieh is a Persian spice mix of cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, cloves and rose petals.
- ½ cup long grain rice
- ½ cup yellow split pea, soaked 1 hour
- 2 cups water + ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ lb ground lamb
- ½ lb ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tablespoon yogurt
- 1 small red onion, grated, and squeezed to remove liquid
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup dill, chopped
- 1 cup chives, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon Advieh
- Some oil for the baking tray
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes (or 2 fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- ½ cup blanched almonds
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven 400Â°F
- Preparing the meatballs: Bring the rice and split peas together in 2 cups of salted water to boil. Once it has boiled, cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Combine the remaining meatball ingredients (lamb, beef, egg white, yogurt, red onion, garlic, chopped herbs, Advieh, salt and pepper and the cooled rice and split pea mix) together until combined. Using your hands, form into balls about 1 Â½ inch diameter. Place on a lightly oiled baking tray, and bake in a 400Â°F oven until brown about 12 minutes.
- Preparing the sauce: In a heavy bottom, oven proof pot, heat olive oil on medium high. Add sliced onions and cook till golden brown, about 7 minutes, then add the remaining ingredients (tomatoes, garlic, sumac, tumeric, saffron, salt and pepper). Pour in the broth. Bring to boil. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Transfer the meatballs back into the pot, add more broth if necessary to cover the meatballs, and bake covered, in a 400 Â°F oven (alternatively simmer on low on stove top) for 10 minutes. stirring once or twice gently.
- In the meantime, put the parsley, garlic, salt, saffron, and almonds in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until well chopped. Add mixture to meatball pot after 10 minutes, stir gently, and return to the oven and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes.
- Mix the yogurt with the garlic, drizzle over the meatballs and serve.
Leave a review or comment