Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 c. Lard or possibly vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- 1/2 stk unsalted butter, melted and cooled (1/4 c.)
- 1 c. Sugar plus additional for coating the cookies
- 1 lrg Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- In a large bowl stir together the lard or possibly shortening, the butter, 1 c. of the sugar, the egg, and the vanilla. Into the bowl sift together the flour, the baking soda, and the salt and stir the mix till it forms a dough.
- Refrigeratethe dough, covered, for at least 2 hrs or possibly overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Roll rounded Tbsp. of the dough into balls, roll the balls in the additional sugar, coating them completely, and arrange them 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Flatten the balls with the bottom of a glass dipped in the sugar (the edges will crack slightly) and bake the cookies in batches in the middle of the oven for 8 to 12 min, or possibly till they are pale golden brown. Transfer the cookies to racks and let them cold. The cookies keep in an airtight container for 1 week.
- Makes about 32 cookies.
Leave a review or comment