Nuts for BAKLAVA phyllo pastry .Cook: 45 min Servings: 30by Foodessa345 recipes>
Snacking on nuts by the park highlighted my desire to try making Baklava my way. Flaky pastry phyllo layered with a nut variation, while sweetened with a light citrus syrup. Don't shy away from making this delight. Although the recipe may seem long and complex, it really is not that difficult. For a detailed post...refer to: http://www.foodessa.com/2013/04/nuts-for-baklava-phyllo-pastry.html
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . > Butter (melted): 1 cup (240g) unsalted, Butter, clarified*
- . > Nut mix:
- . 2-1/2 cups (400g) mix of choice nuts: roasted Almonds or Hazelnut (filberts)...and/or raw pecans, walnuts or pistachios
- . 3/4 cup (95g) confectioners' sugar
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) ground cinnamon spice
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) ground cardamom spice
- . 1 large orange, finely zested (optional)
- . pinch of sea salt
- . > Pastry Phyllo layers: 14 sheets of thawed Phyllo pastry: (divided in half at the shortest side)...This will yield [8+6+6+8] half sheets required
- . > Syrup:
- . 1 cup (250ml) water
- . 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- . 2 tsps. (10ml) Orange Blossom water
- .> Honey topping:
- . 3/4 cup (175ml) mild honey
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) lemon juice
- . * Clarified Butter: if making clarified butter from scratch...bring the butter to a light boil in a small pot. Skim off the foam.
- . > Clarified Butter: in a small pot, bring the butter to a light boil. Skim off the foam. Remove from heat and set aside.
- . > Nut mix: With the aid of a food processor, pulse the nuts several times to coarse, pea-size pieces. Add the sugar, spices, orange zest and salt. Give the processor one last swirl. Transfer mix to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- . > ASSEMBLY: Pre-heat the oven to 325F/160C/Gas3. Position rack on the 2nd level from the bottom. Take the 9x12 inch (23x30 cm) rectangle baking pan and very generously brush the melted butter all over the pan. Unroll the Phyllo dough sheets. On the shortest length, cut the sheets in half. Cover to avoid dryness. Place the first pastry sheet and lightly brush every sheet with the melted butter until 8 layers are placed. Now, spread a third of the nut mix. Drizzle a little butter over the nut mix. REPEAT with another 6 layers and spread another third of the nut mix. Again, drizzle a little butter. REPEAT again for the next 6 layers plus nut mix and drizzle of butter. Finish off with the last 8 layers of buttered pastry sheets. With the point of a sharp knife, cut into the preparation to make the pieces either diagonal or straight rows.
- . Initially BAKE for 25 minutes at 325F/160C/Gas3.
- . > Meanwhile...make the SYRUP: In a small saucepan, bring both the water and sugar to a boil without stirring it. Once the boiling point is reached, turn down the heat to MEDIUM for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the orange blossom water. Set aside. Afterwards, right before removing the pan from the oven, RAISE the heat to 400F/200C/Gas6. Take the pan out and evenly pour the syrup throughout the pastry. BAKE for another 15 minutes.
- . Meanwhile...prepare the HONEY-LEMON mix: Mix the honey and lemon. Then, once out of the oven, immediately pour it all over the Baklava.
- . Let the pan rest uncovered onto a cooling rack for at least 4 hours before serving. This pastry gets better with time. Serve at room temperature.
- . Store in a metal box lined with parchment paper. Will keep up to 2 weeks at room temperature with the lid kept ajar.
- . Flavourful baking wishes from Claudia's kitchen...Foodessa.com
Leave a review or comment