Nuts for BAKLAVA phyllo pastry .Cook: 45 min Servings: 30by Foodessa345 recipes>
Snacking on nuts by the park highlighted my desire to try making Baklava my way. Flaky pastry phyllo layered with a nut variation, while sweetened with a light citrus syrup. Don't shy away from making this delight. Although the recipe may seem long and complex, it really is not that difficult. For a detailed post...refer to: http://www.foodessa.com/2013/04/nuts-for-baklava-phyllo-pastry.html
- . > (American / Metric measures) <
- . > Butter (melted): 1 cup (240g) unsalted, clarified* Butter
- . > Nut mix:
- . 2-1/2 cups (400g) mix of choice nuts: roasted Almonds or Hazelnut (filberts)...and/or raw pecans, walnuts or pistachios
- . 3/4 cup (95g) confectioners' sugar
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) ground cinnamon spice
- . 1 tsp. (5ml) ground cardamom spice
- . 1 large orange, finely zested (optional)
- . pinch of sea salt
- . > Pastry Phyllo layers: 14 sheets of thawed Phyllo pastry dough: (divided in half at the shortest side)...This will yield [8+6+6+8] half sheets required
- . > Syrup:
- . 1 cup (250ml) water
- . 1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) Turkish Orange Blossom water
- .> Honey topping:
- . 3/4 cup (175ml) mild honey
- . 1 Tbsp. (15ml) lemon juice
- . * Clarified Butter: if making clarified butter from scratch...bring the butter to a light boil in a small pot. Skim off the foam.
- . Use a 9x12 inches (23x30cm) rectangle baking pan.
- . > Clarified Butter: Warm it and set aside.
- . > Nut mix: With the aid of a food processor, pulse the nuts several times to coarse, pea-size pieces. Add the sugar, spices, orange zest and salt. Give the processor one last swirl. Transfer mix to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- . > ASSEMBLY: Pre-heat the oven to 325F/160C/Gas3 for the first baking part. Position rack on the 2nd level from the bottom. Take the 9x12 inch (23x30 cm) rectangle baking pan and very generously brush the melted butter all over the pan. Unroll the Phyllo dough sheets. On the shortest length, cut the sheets in half. Place the first pastry sheet and lightly brush every sheet with the melted butter until 8 layers are placed. Now, spread a third of the nut mix. REPEAT with another 6 layers and spread another third of the nut mix. REPEAT again for the next 6 layers plus nut mix. Finish off with the last 8 layers of buttered pastry sheets. Note: make sure to brush the last layer generously with the butter. With a sharp knife, cut a few diagonal or straight rows.
- . BAKE for the first 25 minutes at 325F/160C/Gas3.
- . Meanwhile...make the syrup: In a small saucepan, bring both the water and sugar to a boil without stirring it. Once the boiling point is reached, turn down the heat to MEDIUM. Simmer briskly for 10 minutes until syrupy. Remove from the heat. Add the orange blossom water. Set aside.
- . Second baking time: raise the heat to 400F/200C/Gas6. Take the pan out and carefully pour the sugar syrup between the cuts and around the edges. BAKE for another 15 min.
- . In a small measuring cup, mix the honey and lemon. Then, once out of the oven, immediately pour the honey-lemon mix all over the Baklava.
- . Let the pan rest uncovered onto a cooling rack for at least 4 hours before serving. This pastry gets better with time. Serve at room temperature.
- . Store in a metal tin box lined with parchment paper. Will keep up to 2 weeks at room temperature.
- . Flavourful baking wishes from Claudia's kitchen...Foodessa.com
Leave a review or comment