Nankhatai Recipe (Indian Eggless Shortbread Cookies)Prep: 20 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 12by Hina Gujral170 recipes>
Nankhatai Recipe is a classic Indian eggless shortbread cookies prepared with ghee and gram flour. These days we all have fallen for fancy first world cookies with gourmet ingredients. Somewhere Indian baked goodies have lost their glory, infact the new generation hardly recognize these conventional cookies. When I baked Nankhatais, a wave of nostalgia hit me hard. After tasting Nankhatai I was taken aback into the childhood days when life used to revolve around simple pleasures like Nankhatai.
- 2 ¼ Cup all purpose flour
- ½ Cup Gram Flour
- 1 Cup granulated white sugar
- 1 Cup Refined Oil
- ¼ Cup Yoghurt, at room temperature
- 1 Tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Cup sliced pistachio and almonds
- Cream saffola total oil and sugar together in a bowl for 3 – 4 minutes at low speed with hand blender ( buy it here ).
- Add the yogurt and beat again at low speed for 2 – 3 minutes. Rest the mixture for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift flour, gram flour and baking powder together in a bowl. Mix in cardamom powder as well.
- Mix the sifted flour to the wet ingredients ⅓ at a time, once all of the flour is added try to form a dough with your fingers. Do not knead it just bind it together like shortcrust pastry.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl and let it rest for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven ( buy it here ) at 180 degree celsius. Line a baking tray ( buy it here ) with cookie sheet or parchment paper ( buy it here ).
- Divide the dough into thirty small balls and slightly flatten each ball with fingers.
- If you want sliced almond or pistachio can be put on top of each ball.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or you can check after 20 minutes.
- Let Nankhatai cool on a wire rack ( buy it here ) before transferring to container.
- Serve Nankhatai with a cup of tea or milk.
Leave a review or comment