My standard recipe for all of my cakesPrep: 15 min Cook: 25 min Servings: 48by Cupcake Vixen9 recipes>
I am sure that those of you that look over my cake recipes have noticed a certain pattern with all of my cakes. This is the standard recipe that I have tested for years that is fool proof everytime. This is a great recipe for those who are just coming into baking. I always use this recipe for all of my wedding cakes because the additon of the cake mix allows the batter to go further. If doing a layered cake, you will get three 8" cakes or 48 cupcakes with one mix. All you have to do is add your own ingredients to change the flavor of the cake. You also just make adjustments with the liquids according to what you are using. I.E. if you are using pudding or fruit juice, do not use as much milk or shortening.
- 1 box any flavor cake mix
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. all purpose flour OR 1 c. + 2 Tbsp. cake flour
- 1 c. sour cream OR 1 c. shortening
- 1 stick butter, melted and unsalted
- 1 tsp. clear vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 c. milk
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Combine in large bowl, milk, butter, flavor, and sour cream OR shortening. If you are using sour cream the mixture will be frothy. If you are using shortening, the mixture will looked curdeled. Just keep mixing until it starts to thicken slightly.
- The add the cake mix, sugar, flour, salt, and eggs. Mix until well combined, not over mixing, You still want lumps in the batter.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake at 330* for 45 minutes for cake and 22-25 minutes for cupcakes.
- Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
Leave a review or comment