Mustard Seed Tomato Curry Fusilli with Leafy Greens and Queso FrescoPrep: 10 min Cook: 14-16 min Servings: 4by Enda Love75 recipes>
We've all been there. You're in the middle of a casual conversation with a group of friends in an unassuming environment, and before you know what's happened, you've offered to host a dinner party. It sounded like a great idea at the time. And guess what? It still is. Sure to please, this fast and easy recipe courtesy of culinary instructor and former winery chef at Mission Hill Family Estate, Michael Allemeier, showcases a diversity of cultures with a mild but flavourful curry, served on hearty Catelli Ancient Grains Fusilli – all natural pasta with five wholesome ancient grains. This dish is also ideal for vegetarian guests, with the main protein component being queso fresco rather than meat.
- • 1 pkg. (340 g) Catelli Ancient Grains Fusilli
- • 1/4 cup (60 mL) canola oil
- • 1 tbsp (15 mL) whole cumin seeds
- • 2 tsp (10 mL) whole mustard seeds
- • 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground turmeric
- • 1/2 tsp (3 mL) chili flakes
- • 2 tbsp (30 mL) garlic, peeled and coarsely minced
- • 1 cup (250 mL) coconut milk
- • 2 cups (500 mL) pureed tomato (canned diced tomato pureed)
- • 8 cups (2 L or 140 g) assorted leafy greens (spinach, kale, mustard etc.) washed and spun well to dry
- • 2 cups (500 mL) queso fresco cheese, diced into a half-inch dice
- • 1 cup (250 mL) green onions, thinly sliced
- • Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add 4 litres of water to a pot and 1 tbsp (15 mL) of salt to water. Bring to a boil.
- In a large pot or frying pan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add cumin and mustard seeds and cook until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute). Add turmeric, chili flakes and minced garlic. Cook for about 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously, until garlic is tender and fragrant.
- Add in pureed tomato and coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Cover pot with lid and cook on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Cook fusilli according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, add washed leafy greens to the sauce and stir well to wilt greens.
- Drain pasta well and add to sauce. Add diced queso fresco and sliced green onions and stir well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately.
- Chef's Tips:
- • For best results, use diced canned tomato.
- • Paneer cheese can be substituted for queso fresco.
Leave a review or comment