Millet Khichadi with lots of veggiesPrep: 40 min Cook: 45 min Servings: 6by Meera Nalavadi21 recipes>
A spicy comfort bowl full of healthy millets and veggies, perfect meal on a rainy, cold snowy day!
- 1 cup millets rinsed
- 1 cup about 4 oz, yellow or red split lentils
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium-sized carrots diced
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup defrosted peas
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 whole cloves and green cardamom, 1 stick cinnamon, 1 bay leaf
- 2 inch piece minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups of water
- Serve with yogurt and chopped cilantro
- 1.In a saute pan warm the oil and add the whole spices: cloves, cardamom, cumin, bay and cinnamon. Stir and add onions.
- 2.Saute till onions are translucent. Next add ginger and drop all the veggies. Stir and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- 3.Add turmeric and cayenne. Stir
- 4.Next add the soaked lentils and millets stir, they should be coated with the spices.
- 5.Add the water: 4 cups, bring it to a boil and drop the heat to a simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- 6.The millets and lentils should be cooked with a consistency of a risotto.
- 7.Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and a dollop of yogurt
Leave a review or comment