Marinated Halibut On Radish Sprout And Fennel Salad
- 2 Tbsp. golden brown raisins
- 1/2 c. white balsamic vinegar (or possibly 1/2 c. cider vinegar mixed with 2 tbspns sugar)
- 1 med red onion thinly sliced crossw
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb halibut fillet with skin, abt 1 1/2" thk
- 2 Tbsp. potato starch
- 1 lrg fennel bulb with fronds (sometimes called anise)
- 2 1/2 ounce radish sprouts or possibly watercress sprigs trimmed (2 c.)
- 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar (or possibly 2 tbspns cider vinegar mixed with 1 1/2 tspns sugar)
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Prepare fish: Simmer raisins in vinegar in a small saucepan till raisins are plump, 3 to 5 min, and then cold.
- Cook onion in 1 Tbsp. oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, till softened, 4 to 6 min. Remove skillet from heat and transfer half of onion to a 9-inch square glass or possibly ceramic baking dish with a slotted spoon, spreading proportionately. Reserve remaining onion.
- Cut fish into 6 equal pcs. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Spread potato starch on a plate and dredge fish in it, shaking off excess.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil in skillet over moderately-high heat till warm but not smoking, then saute/fry fish, skin-sides down, till lightly browned, 1 1/2 to 3 min. Turn fish over and saute/fry till lightly browned and just cooked through, 1 1/2 to 3 min more.
- Arrange fish on top of onion in baking dish, then top with reserved onion and drizzle with raisins and vinegar. Cold completely, then marinate, covered and chilled, at least 8 hrs. Bring to room temperature.
- Make salad: Tear sufficient fennel fronds to measure 1 Tbsp.. Trim stalks flush with bulb and throw away stalks. Quarter bulb lengthwise, then cut lengthwise into paper-thin slices with a mandoline or possibly other manual slicer. Transfer slices to a bowl and toss with radish sprouts.
- Whisk together vinegar and oil, then whisk in sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Toss vegetables with half of dressing and divide among 6 plates.
- Remove onion from top of fish, reserving it, and put a piece of fish on top of each salad. Mound all of onion and raisins on top of fish, and then drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with fennel fronds.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.
Leave a review or comment