March Of Dimes Bastilla (Chicken Moroccan Pie)
- 1 x Chicken, (2 1/2- to 3-lb) cut up
- 1 whl chicken breast, halved Salt, pepper Unsalted butter or possibly margarine
- 4 x Chicken livers, diced
- 4 x Chicken gizzards, diced
- 4 x Chicken hearts, diced
- 1 c. Chopped onion
- 2 x Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Minced parsley
- 2 Tbsp. Minced mint
- 1 tsp Grated gingerroot
- 1/2 tsp Grnd cumin
- 1/2 tsp Red pepper
- 1/2 tsp Grnd turmeric
- 1 tsp Crumbled saffron threads
- 3 Tbsp. Grnd cinnamon
- 3 c. Chicken broth
- 10 x Large eggs, well beaten
- 3/4 c. Minced almonds
- 2 Tbsp. Granulated sugar
- 10 x Phyllo dough sheets
- 1/2 c. Golden brown raisins, soaked in:
- 1/2 c. Rum, hot
- 1 Tbsp. Powdered sugar
- This handsome bastilla won first prize in a March of Dimes cookoff. It's easier to make than it looks once one develops the knack of handling phyllo dough. Pat chicken pcs dry and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Heat 6 Tbsp. butter in skillet and brown chicken well on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add in livers, gizzards, hearts, onion and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, till onion is tender. Stir in parsley, mint, ginger, cumin, red pepper, turmeric, saffron and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Stir and cook 1 to 2 min longer. Add in broth and bring to boil, stirring. Return chicken to skillet and simmer, covered, about 1 hour, or possibly till chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth. When cold sufficient to handle, throw away skin and bones and cut meat into chunks. Skim fat from broth. Pour off 2 c. broth and reserve. Reduce remaining broth to 1/2 c.. Scrape bits from bottom of pan and reserve reduced mix. Return reserved 2 c. broth to pan and bring to simmer. Pour Large eggs into simmering broth and whisk till soft creamy curds form. Drain off excess liquid, if any. Stir in reserved reduced mix. Brown almonds in 1/4 c. butter.
- Toss with granulated sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon. Heat 1 c. butter.
- Overlap 6 sheets phyllo dough in circle in 12-inch skillet or possibly paella pan, first brushing each sheet with melted butter and letting about half the length of each sheet hang over pan edge. Fold 2 more buttered sheets in half and place in middle of pan. Layer almonds, half of egg mix, chicken, liquid removed raisins and remaining egg mix in pastry-lined pan.
- Fold sides of dough up over filling, brushing dry areas with more butter.
- Tuck ends in around edges. Place 2 more buttered and folded sheets of phyllo over bastilla, gently tucking in edges to create smooth surface. Brush generously all over with butter.With sharp knife, score top in diamond pattern. Bake at425F 25 to 30 min or possibly till deep golden. Carefully slide onto serving plate and sprinkle lightly between diamonds with mix of powdered sugar and remaining 2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Serve hot. (C)
Leave a review or comment