Mango Flan With Orange And Mango Salad
- vegetable oil spray
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 c. minced peeled pitted mangoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 c. low-fat (1%) buttermilk
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 pch salt
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 x vanilla beans split lengthwise
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 lrg orange peeled, segmented
- 1 lrg mango peeled, pitted, sliced Thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- Spray six 2/3- to 3/4-c. souffle dishes with vegetable oil spray. Pour 2 Tbsp. water into small saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over; let stand 10 min. Stir over low heat just till gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. Puree minced mangoes in processor. Transfer 1 1/3 c. puree to medium saucepan; stir over low heat till hot. Fold in gelatin, then buttermilk, 1/2 c. sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and salt. Strain mango mix into bowl. Divide among prepared dishes. Refrigeratetill set.
- Combine 1 1/2 c. water, 1/3 c. sugar and lemon peel in medium saucepan.
- Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add in bean. Stir over medium heat till sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil till reduced to 1/2 c., about 20 min. Strain. Fold in 2 tsp. lemon juice. Refrigeratelemon syrup till cool. Combine orange, sliced mango and mint in bowl. Run small knife around mango flans; invert onto plates. Surround with orange salad.
- Drizzle syrup over.
- NOTES : This refreshing dessert comes from Lincoln Carson, pastry chef at the Highlands Inn in Carmel Highlands, California. It has a lovely rich texture, even though it has no Large eggs.
Leave a review or comment