Mandel Bread (Mandelbrodt)Prep: 10 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 48by Baking Barrister13 recipes>
Biscotti's much cooler, much more Jewish cousin.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Beat the eggs until they are thick and light. Keep beating, gradually adding the sugar, then the oil, and then the extracts.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and almonds. If you want chocolate chips or dried fruit, add them in here as well.
- About a third at a time, mix in well until all ingredients are combined. Dough is slightly wet and sticky.
- On a floured surface, knead dough about 20 turns. If you have a dough scraper, this would be a great place to use it instead of your hands to prevent sticking.
- Divide into 3 pieces. On a well oiled baking sheet, shape into strips about 3 inches wide, 1 inch high, and 10-12 inches long. If you have a biscotti pan, I am jealous because my molding skills can use some work.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and while still warm, cut into 1/2 inch slices. Return to oven and let lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
- See the link below for more pictures & other recipes.
Leave a review or comment