Lentil Salad with Warm SpicesPrep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Servings: 6by Farrell May Podgorsek54 recipes>
Lentils are perfect for cold or room temperature salads. This salad features the warm flavors of cumin, coriander, ginger and turmeric. Red onion and tomato add texture and color. I tend to overlook lentils so I found a great way to prevent the dreaded mush. Slightly undercook the lentils and then let them sit in the pot until just tender. Feel free to add other vegetables to this versatile salad.
- 1 cup dried lentils, green or black preferred
- 1/2 small onion, peeled
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large strip lemon rind
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 3 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Rinse lentils and check for stones and anything else that isn't a lentil. Place lentils in a large saucepan with 4 cups water. Stud onion with 4 cloves and add to saucepan along with bay leaves, salt and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are just barely tender. Turn off heat, cover pan and let sit 10 minutes to finish cooking. Drain in a colander. Discard onion, bay leaves and lemon rind. Transfer lentils to a baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp lemon juice. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and sauté about 5 minutes, or until the onion is just tender. Reduce heat to low and add all spices and chopped garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Remove from heat and scrape mixture onto a plate or small bowl to cool.
- To make vinaigrette combine the lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk to blend. Add onion spice mixture, 1 tsp kosher salt and whisk to blend.
- Transfer lentils to a large bowl. Add tomato and vinaigrette and stir gently to blend. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. The flavors should be assertive.
- Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes to allow the lentils to absorb all the spice favors. Can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Leave a review or comment