Lemon Pastry Squares (a.k.a Lemon Brownies) - a new take on Lemon Bars!Prep: 20 min Cook: 26 min Servings: 16by Salad Foodie396 recipes>
This recipe has been circulating around the Internet as “Lemon Brownies”, but I think it deserves a more descriptive name. These treats are a delicacy and are more “dainty” than brownies. They have no chocolate, are not brown, and NOT as sweet nor have the moist gooey texture of lemon bars. They do have aspects of many sweet treats, including pastries, petit fours, and pound cake. I think you will love the texture and the burst of citrus in these pretty little bars. Everywhere they go they receive accolades galore!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8- inch baking pan. Zest, then juice, 2 large lemons (or whatever size and quantity yields sufficient amounts for batter and glaze; set aside.)
- Beat the flour, granulated sugar, salt, and softened butter together with electric mixer until combined.
- In separate bowl whisk together eggs, lemon zest and juice until well mixed. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until it just begins to turn golden brown around edges and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (Note: Top of pastry will still be pale yellow and not have browned.) Remove from oven and cool in pan on wire rack until completely cool.
- Whisk the 3 glaze ingredients together until smooth. Spread over cooled pastry and allow glaze to set and become entirely firm before attempting to cut and serve.
- YIELD: 16 2x2-inch squares
Leave a review or comment