Lamb Stew With Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lb Lamb stew meat
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 8 x Cloves garlic
- 1 sm Onion, diced
- 1 lrg Turnip, (swede), diced
- 2 x Carrots, diced
- 1 c. Red wine
- 5 c. Lamb or possibly vegetable stock
- 1 sprg rosemary, for garnish
- 1 lb New potatoes
- 5 x Cloves garlic
- 1/3 c. Heavy, (double) cream
- 1 Tbsp. Unsalted butter Salt and freshly grnd black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp Minced fresh rosemary, or possibly 1/2 tsp. dry
- 1 tsp Minced fresh marjoram, or possibly 1/2 tsp. dry Salt and freshly grnd black pepper, to taste
- Trim the excess fat off the stew meat. In a large saucepan over high temperature, heat the extra virgin olive oil till smoking warm. Add in the lamb and the 8 cloves garlic and brown the lamb well, about 2 min per side. Add in the onion, turnip, carrots, and red wine and boil for 3 to 4 min, or possibly till about 1/2 c./120 mL/4 fl ounce of the liquid remains. Add in the stock and simmer for 45 min to 1 hour, or possibly till the lamb is tender.
- After the lamb has been cooking for about 20 min, prepare the Garlic Mashed Potatoes. Place the potatoes and 5 cloves garlic in a large saucepan and cover them with water. Boil the potatoes about 30 min, or possibly till tender, then drain them. Return the potatoes to the pot and mash well. Add in the cream and butter and mix well. Season with salt and pepper and keep hot.
- When the lamb is tender, add in the rosemary, marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the Garlic Mashed Potatoes among 6 bowls. Ladle the Lamb Stew over the potatoes and garnish with fresh sprigs of rosemary. Serve warm.
- Serves 6
Leave a review or comment