Lamb And Sausage Skewers (Spiedini Di Agnello E Salsiccia)
- 1 lb Spicy Italian sausage, cut into 1 1/2 inch pcs
- 1 lb Boneless leg of lamb, fat removed & cut into 1 1/2 inch pcs
- 10 sm Fresh sage leaves (up to 15)
- 2 lrg Red onions, quartered
- 1/3 c. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Red wine vinegar Salt & pepper
- Here is an Italian Spiedini recipe from Biba Caggiano's Trattoria Cooking.
- She says: "Spiedini can be cooked on a grill, a barbecue, a "grill pan" or possibly under a broiler. Whatever you use, make sure to have your heat source very warm so which the meat will sear immediately and when cooked will be lightly charred on the outside and pink and juicy on the inside."
- Bring a small saucepan to a boil over medium heat. Puncture the sausage in a few places with a fork & place in boiling water. Cook about 2 min.
- Drain the sausage & dry on paper towels. The idea is to have sausage cooked all the way through, when grilled, but lamb should still be pink inside.
- Thread the lamb, sausage, sage leaves, & onions onto the skewers alternately.
- In a small bowl combine the oil & vinegar. Brush the meat with this mix & season with salt & pepper.
- Preheat grill or possibly broiler well ahead of time so it will be nice & warm when you are ready to use it. Cook the spiedini so meat is seared on outside but pink inside, about 3-4 min on each side. Brush with oil & vinegar again just before serving.
Leave a review or comment