Korean Gamja Tteok Tang (Spicy Pork Bone Stew w Rice Cakes)Prep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Servings: 4by jason kim85 recipes>
Gamjatang (literally “potato stew”) is my favorite Korean stew for its hearty and rich...full story and recipe at www.mykoreaneats.com
- Servings: 4 people
- Prep time: 1.5 hours (minimum 1 hour soak time)
- Cooking time: 2 hours
- 2 lb. pork spare ribs
- 15~20 ggaetnip (perilla leaves), cut into strips
- 6 small potatoes (halved or quartered)
- 3 cups kimchi, chopped
- 3 cups rice cake (tteok)
- 1 pack enoki mushrooms
- 6~8 cups of water
- Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp gochugaru (red pepper flakes)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp deulkae garu (perilla seeds powder)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1) Put the pork spare ribs into a large pot and add water to cover. Simmer on medium heat with a mix of whole garlic cloves, onion halves, green onion halves, and who black pepper to get rid of the pork smell, cook at least an hour (two hours optimal). The water should reduce from simmering, add more accordingly. Discard any fat that floats to the top.
- 2) Meanwhile, prepare the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl, set aside.
- 3) Add the sauce and halved potatoes and kimchi with the pork. Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- 4) When potatoes are soft , include the remaining vegetables and rice cakes to the mix and boil for another 15~20 minutes.
- 5) Sample the broth and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Adding extra deulkae garu (perilla seed powder) and gochugaru (red pepper flakes) is okay. Let the stew simmer for another 10 minutes.
- 6) Serve with warm rice and plenty of banchan (side dishes).
Leave a review or comment