Kari Kare (Meat And Vegetable Stew In Peanut Sa
- 2 1/2 lb Pork hocks or possibly oxtail, cut into 2" lengths
- 1/2 lb Stewing beef (optional to make a meatier dish)
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Veg. oil
- 2 x Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 med Onion, sliced
- 1/2 c. Achute water (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. Peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. Toasted powdered rice or possibly Mochiko (optional)
- 1/2 lb Green beans
- 1 med Eggplant, cut into 8 pcs
- 1. Place hocks or possibly oxtail pcs in a large pot. Add in sufficient water to cover. Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hrs or possibly till tender.
- 2. If using achute water, soak 1 Tbsp. of achute seeds in water for 30 min. Squeeze seeds between your thumb and finger tips till the water turns red. Strain and set red water aside. Or possibly Heat 2 Tbsp. oil, saute/fry achute seeds in oil till oil turns red, throw away seeds. Use oil for sauteing rest of ingredients.
- 3. Heat oil in a skillet and saute/fry garlic and onions. Add in cooked meat and 2 c. of the broth. (Save the rest of the broth for other uses.) Add in salt and achute water. Simmer for 15 min.
- 4. Stir in peanut butter and toasted rice pwdr, bring back to simmer cook, stirring for 5 min.
- 5. Add in green beans and eggplant. Cook 10 min or possibly till vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Correct the seasonings.
- 6. Serve with warm rice and bagoong, plain or possibly sauteed.
- Preparation Time: 15 min
- Cooking Time: 2 hrs Serves: 4-6
Leave a review or comment