Kalamay (Sweet Sticky Rice Cake)Servings: 1by ShaleeDP1124 recipes>
This is one of my favorites rice cakes It's sweetness and flavor appeals to me a lot. I like the purple yam color too, though some like the natural brown hue.
- 2 1/2 cups Glutinous Rice
- 4 cups Coconut Milk(or 1 can coconut milk plus enough water to make 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed(optional)
- 1 can Coconut Cream or 1 1/2 cups Kakang Gata
- 250 grams Brown Palm Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
- Banana Leaves, heated
- Canola Oil
- Dissolve the sugar in the coconut milk and put in a pot. Add the anise seeds.
- Wash the glutinous rice and pour into the coconut milk and sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed by the rice.
- On a separate pan over medium heat, put the Coconut cream and Palm sugar and cook stirring continuously until the liquid has reduced in half.
- Assemble the Kalamay in a baking dish. Place the banana leaves at the bottom, and brush with oil. Spread the cooked sweet rice onto the leaves and flatten evenly.
- Spread the topping onto the sweet rice and bake on a 350 degrees F, pre-heated oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Leave a review or comment